Tuesday, February 23, 2010

affordable 7-hour day spa retreat for $318 in San Diego (or 5 1/2 hours for $225)

I scoured the ends of the earth (or San Diego, for that matter) for a day spa package that does not necessitate a month-long pledge of poverty. I stumbled upon interesting finds along the way. IPBS, for example, offers a two-hour massage for $110 (with a $10 off coupon found in the San Diego Reader). Anatomy Day Spa offers a 20% discount for 4 hour-long treatments (although the reviews weren't consistently spectacular).

My reconnaissance mission came to a conclusion when I unearthed what could possibly be the best day spa package San Diego has to offer. I was completely sold by its ridiculously low price and glowing reviews. Trusty ol' yelpers gave A Better Body Salon and Day Spa at Clairemont 4 1/2 out of 5 stars (based on 15 reviews).

So I was torn between the two: A Day For You (European Facial, 1 1/2 hour Massage, Body Scrub, Manicure, Pedicure for a total of 5 1/2 hours) for $250 minus the 15% discount if you hail from the male persuasion = $225. Not bad. Based on extensive research, a 5-hour spa package typically costs $450.

For the month of March, they are offering a 15% discount to male clients. I ended up booking a surprise 7-hour day spa retreat for my husband (it's his birthday) for $318 ($370 minus the 15% discount) which includes:

Deluxe facial - 1 1/2 hours, includes massage
2-hour massage - Choices are deep tissue, pregnancy (well he does have a slightly swollen belly heheh), table thai, swedish, refloxology, variety of oriental modalities (whatever that means)
Body Wrap - Essential Oil (probably smells good so I'll pick this for him), Fungo Mud (eeww), Contouring Body Wrap or Rosemud
Body Scrub - Pineapple and Cornmeal, Dead Seasalt or Seasonal Glo (depends on the season I guess?)
Manicure and Pedicure - includes paraffin soak and massage

$318 for a 7-hour massage!? That would've typically amounted to $700. How's that for a great deal? The bargain hunter strikes again! Hiiyyaaah!

(Plus, he'll have to top that gift, so I can't wait for our anniversary!)

No comments:

Post a Comment